Monday 30th May to Saturday 4th June 2022
Led by Dave Simpson Logistics: Brian Phillips
Back in the normal days of 2019 we put together a detailed itinerary for a visit to the west coast of Ireland, based in Galway, for 4 full days (5 nights) in June 2020.
Naturally this all got cancelled.
Being ever optimists we rebooked the hotel for the same period in 2021. Well that of course also got cancelled.
So here we are again. We have rebooked the hotel and they have held the prices that were agreed back in 2019. I have contacted the proprietor of the coach company and was very relieved to find that they are still in business.
The excursions being planned are the basically the same: to the Burren, Connemara and the Aran Islands. We are now also fortunate to have an expert geologist with us to help explain all the exceptional formations of the areas we will be visiting.
Last time we arranged for the package to start from Shannon Airport with members making their own plans to fly into Shannon. With members coming from various parts of the UK, Shannon proved less than ideal with many logistical issues. We are, therefore, going to start the package this time from Dublin Airport. Dublin has many more flights (even now) from more parts of the UK and the prices are more competitive
The package will include:
- Luxury coach to and from Dublin Airport
- 5 nights Bed and Breakfast at Jurys Inn Hotel
- Situated in Galway town centre
- Garden on banks of River Corrib
- Walking distance to many cafes and restaurants
- 3 Coach excursions to gardens and areas of botanic / geological and scenic interest
- Burren area
- Connemara area
- Boat excursion, this time direct from Galway Harbour, to the largest of the Aran Islands (Inis Mór) with its unique flora / geology and many walks – long and short. The return will be via the Cliff of Moher back to Galway Harbour.
- Tips to coach drivers
- Dinner on last evening
- Entrance fees to gardens
The arrangements would be as follows:
- Own travel to Dublin Airport
- Programme as set out above
- Own travel from Dublin Airport
For those wanting to stay longer:
- All the major car hire companies are located at Dublin Airport. A hire car could be picked up on Saturday after returning to the airport by coach.
Assistance can be provided with recommending flights and options.
Budget price: £650 / person (2 sharing) (subject to exchange rate variation)
In the next few weeks I will be contacting the various organisations in Ireland to get firm prices for 2022.(the hotel price is fixed with no change from 2020). Unfortunately, the hotel has a significant single persons supplement. The size of that will depend on the ratio of double to single rooms (double rooms can be double or twin beds). I hope we can keep the supplement to a manageable number.
As before there will be an initial deposit due before Christmas, another payment around February and the final instalment in first week of April. You can cancel anytime up until the middle of March.
We have given first refusal to those who were booked for 2020. Three couples feel they cannot now make it, so we have moved up the first three reserves.
Brian Phillips: firstname.lastname@example.org
We want to restrict the numbers to about 40, but there is no hard and fast number. However, we need to have at least a minimum of 30.